In recent decades we have witnessed the gradual rebirth of the common spiritual space of Russians abroad and at home, a movement concisely referred to as the “Russian World.”
Lying at its foundation is the commonality of historical tradition, the commonality of the working language, and, as a rule — the commonality of faith. In 2007–2009, The Centre of National Glory of Russia and the Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called implemented an ambitious overseas project involving restoration of the monument to the Russians who perished in 1920–1921 during the forced stay on Gallipoli by detachments of the Russian Army evacuated from the Crimea.
Restoration of the monument represents yet another important step towards “healing the wounds of separation” suffered by our people during the Revolution of 1917 and the Civil War. In 2010, at the initiative of the Centre, an unprecedented maritime voyage was arranged to the evacuation destinations of the Russian Army: Bizerte (Tunisia), Lemnos (Greece), Gallipoli and Istanbul (Turkey).
The delegation included the descendants of those people who, 90 years ago, were forced to flee the Motherland as a result of the Civil War. In 2012, under the auspices of the “Russian World” programme, a monument was ceremonially christened in Messina to the Russian sailors who took part in the emergency response mounted in the wake of the terrible earthquake that hit the Strait of Messina in 1908. In 2013, a bust of Admiral Foedor F. Ushakov was unveiled at Russian Sailors’ Square.
In 2015 – unveiling of Busts of Boris Pasternak and Pietro Zveteremich in Messina and Anna Akhmatova in Taormina.